Friday, June 15, 2012

The Case of the Ugly Cupcakes



Last week, our niece Claire was born, and I thought I’d bake cupcakes for my brother-in-law and sister-in-law to enjoy while they were hospital-bound.

I found all these recipes for “perfect” cupcakes and “perfect” frosting. I drew within the lines for the most part, except that I used whole wheat flower (non-negotiable in my kitchen), and added some almond extract (because it makes everything one hundred times more delicious).

But the cupcakes turned out slightly spilled over the little cupcake cups, and some of them looked done and some of them didn’t, and the frosting…well, let’s just say it was supposed to look like a fluffed-up pastel pink dream of a cloud, and it looked like—pinkish water? Thank heavens I had sprinkles. Or, as they are called in their fancy bottle, “pink jimmies.”

They tasted yummy. But they were a little embarrassingly ugly. And part of the whole “treat” experience is that the treat is pretty.

So, I’m begging you for your healthed-up cupcake recipes. And yes, I KNOW cupcakes aren’t healthy in any form, but I mean whole wheat flower, less sugar or a natural sugar replacement, oil-less, etc. Anyone?

For the record, here’s a tip from my BFF Caitlin, who makes gorgeous cakes. When using a boxed cake, which I undoubtedly should have done in this case, omit the eggs and oil, and add a can of 7Up (it can be diet). The cake turns out perfect, minus lots of calories…so you can have two instead of one!

Lindsey.

No comments:

Post a Comment