Sunday, April 22, 2012

White Truffle Parmesan Popcorn (& other varieties)

My first post is going to be about popcorn, primarily because it's past my bedtime on a Sunday and I haven't even watched the season premiere of The Real Housewives of New Jersey yet. (Who can resist the table-flipping, heavily-accented madness? Not me!) I made some popcorn for the occasion. And not just ANY old popcorn. Because today, I learned something groundbreaking: you can make REAL popcorn in a pot on the stove, without a fancy-schmancy popcorn popper thingamajig! (I realize this is common knowledge to the average popcorn popper, okay?) Goodbye, microwave fake-fat free-buttery-dust junk. Hello, white truffle deliciousness...


White Truffle Parmesan Popcorn

-1 tbsp. canola oil
-2 tbsp. white truffle oil, although I'm sure you can use black instead. And get the good stuff.
-1/3 c. popcorn kernels
-coarse sea salt
-freshly ground black pepper
-shredded parmesan cheese

In a pot with a vented lid, heat canola oil and 1 tbsp. truffle oil on med-high. When steam appears, throw in kernels and cover. Take off heat when popping slows. Transfer to a bowl. Drizzle with remaining 1 tbsp. truffle oil and shake. Season with salt, pepper, and parmesan and shake some more. (There's no rule for the amount of cheese. I like lots.)

-----------------------------
Here are some other popcorn toppings to try:
-shredded sharp cheddar (My mom has always made it this way, so we grew up eating "cheese popcorn." People always think I'm nuts when I eat this, but when they try it they inevitably get HOOKED. My mom, my sister and I have run out to the store many a late night for a bag of cheddar; otherwise the popcorn goes untouched.)
-parmesan & garlic salt
-shredded mozzarella & cracked pepper
-melted candy corn (A coworker brought this unexpected delight into work one day. Who would've thought?)

-melted red hots & marshmallow cream (transferred to the oven after it's poured. My mom makes this on holidays.)
-dill & chili powder (I think this is trendy lately.)

I think my next mission is to acquire an air popper. I'm all for healthy tweaks. However, I think we all have one or two indulgences that we'd like to keep around. (Mine is cheese!) My rule is to modify wherever I can, to allow a little wiggle room for my vices.

Speaking of vices, my DVR is awaiting me. I'm off to Jersey, with Truffle Popcorn!

Lindsey.

No comments:

Post a Comment