Monday, July 9, 2012

Black Truffle Rigatoni with Gruyere, Fontina, and Kale


This is one of those thrown-together experiments that I am absolutely loving right now. You can bulk up on the kale and eat less pasta to lighten things up, but I wouldn't substitute the heavenly gruyere and fontina for anything "light." Even I have my limits!

Ingredients (makes 2 servings):
2 servings whole wheat or whole grain rigatoni, cooked al dente
1/4 c. (more or less) diced gruyere
1/4 c. (more or less) diced fontina
2 tbsp. flour (I used brown rice flour)
3 tbsp. milk (I used almond milk)
sea salt & pepper, to taste
crushed red pepper, to taste
2-3 large curly kale leaves, torn
splash of olive oil, for sauteeing (cooking spray or water work fine)
drizzle black truffle oil

Directions:
Cook pasta according to package directions, and drain. 
In the meantime, heat sautee pan over medium and lightly sautee kale with red pepper (and a dash of parmesan, if desired) for 2 minutes. 
Toss cheese, flour, and milk into hot pan with pasta, and stir. It should get delightfully gooey. Add salt and pepper, if needed. 
Serve topped with kale, drizzled with truffle oil.
Yum!

I have been making this as a quick dish on my lunch break, and eating a small portion (it's filling, believe you me!) with a nice side salad. 

(My current favorite salad includes mixed leaf lettuce and baby spinach, kalamata olives, cucumber, sundried tomato, fat free feta, extra virgin olive oil, and red wine vinegar.)

Kale is probably my biggest pregnancy craving this time around. (I know, I know...I'm not normal.) Funny, I just read somewhere that people who start to eat "clean" diets will begin craving things like kale. I'm all for a good kale chip, but this red pepper sautee is truly amazing. I pair it with everything. 

Fun Kale Facts
(because I'm a listaholic nerd):
-repairs cellular damage and slows down/prevents cancer
-great source of vitamins C, K, beta carotene, and calcium
-is in the cabbage family
-steamed kale can help lower cholesterol (whfoods.com)
-natural anti-inflammatory

Back in my heyday, I never, EVER would have believed I'd be singing the praises of something in the cabbage family. What the eff has becoming a mom done to me? ;)
Lindsey.
-
(PS: On another note, because I've mentioned this previously: my mom had surgery today to remove precancerous cells in her breast. Her mother (my beautiful, lovely grandma, who is, to this day, one of my biggest inspirations) died at 59 years old of breast cancer--it spread to her bones and her brain. One of the BIG pieces of advice to my mom from her doctor is to LAY OFF the Diet Coke. My grandmother, too, was a constant drinker of diet pop. Of course, maybe it's just a coincidence, and I know heredity/genetic disposition plays a part. But I used to drink Diet Coke constantly, and this gives me another reason to feel great about not drinking it! My mom, too, has been working to give up the Diet Crack Coke. 
I love you, Momma!)

No comments:

Post a Comment