Wednesday, July 4, 2012

What Lurks in my Kitchen (healthier processed/packaged options)


Ben and I just got done watching the eye-opening documentary Forks Over Knives. I have been, at least for the last 5 years, a very conscientious eater, and since I've worked some magic on him (and because he is a paramedic and sees all variety of disease and disorder caused by poor diet and lifestyle), Ben has made many dietary changes as well. I like to use My Fitness Pal to track my calorie intake, and he has also been utilizing the iPhone app--and has lost a couple of pounds. (My big pregnant ass is jealous. Right now I am focusing more on nutrients than calories. But I can't wait until after baby, when I can return to my normal routine!) 

Anyway. I've been a vegetarian since the age of 8. No, I was not raised in a hippie commune; in fact, my entire family eats meat. I could never get into the taste or texture, and the killing-animals thing realllllly bothered me as a kid (and still does, to be honest). The documentary really shed a lot of light on things I'd long suspected to be true about meat and dairy. For instance, the livestock industry emits more of a harmful carbon footprint than does all of transportation. Cows raised for meat or milk are fed so much grain, it could easily solve the world's hunger crisis. And in countries where meat and dairy make up a small portion of overall food intake and fast/processed food is barely consumed, many of the diseases America suffers from DO NOT EVEN EXIST. 

I really believe our Westernized diet is the culprit of so many of our ailments. We were inspired to watch the film because a smattering of close family members currently suffer from things like diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, cancer, and precancerous breast cancer cells. Most of them put a large focus on foods like meat, butter, processed cheese, non-organic milk, sugar-free processed snacks, drive-through meals, and diet soda. 

I'm not a nutritionist (Ben thinks I am missing my calling), but I AM highly passionate about diet, nutrition, and fitness. Because of my own lifestyle, I get asked a lot of questions. The favorite among people finding out about my lifelong vegetarianism is, "What do you EAT?!" The second favorite is, "Where do you get your protein?"

First off, I highly recommend watching Forks Over Knives, for answers to the protein thing. You CAN get adequate protein from a plant-based, whole foods diet. Secondly, I do not have a perfect diet; my downfall is cheese, and I do consume dairy, though this film and other research has inspired me to cut my intake. I think small changes make a big difference in the long run, and over the years I have continued to add in the good and take out the bad. I like to eat what gives me energy and fuels my workouts. I also have been diagnosed with adult ADD, and I decided to make dietary changes instead of taking medication--it HAS helped my focus, tremendously. I lost my baby weight with Reese and then some (gained 43, lost 50), in about 2.5 months, with weight-based exercise and a healthy diet. I do allow myself to have a "treat" now and then, and because I eat well most of the time, I don't feel guilty about it anymore, and I don't see the effects of it on my weight. I used to eat anything sugar-free and fat-free and diet, thinking I could trim my weight with the absence of calories; it worked when I was 19, and backfired when I hit 24. Now I eat REAL food, and enjoy the REAL benefits of it. 

The majority of our diet at home is truly made up of produce. (You will never see a family of 3 who goes through bananas so fast!) I make sure each meal is centered around fresh food with lots of nutrients. When I can't get fresh, I get organic frozen produce without additives. 

Sometimes, though, we really need to rely on processed or packaged foods. I have narrowed down my kitchen staples over the years to include the brands I feel most comfortable with, and these are some of the things you will find in our kitchen:


1. PB2 is a delicious powdered peanut butter that you mix with water before serving. I use this a lot in shakes. It cuts out most of the fat and calories of regular peanut butter. I also eat natural peanut butter, which IS good for you in SMALL amounts. Because I love it, I can't trust myself to stick to one serving size, so PB2 is my solution. The chocolate flavor is made with real cocoa and is yummy. 

2. Fage Greek Yogurt is what I use in any recipe calling for yogurt, cream cheese, or sour cream. Ben loves it as a substitute in things like taco dip, and it makes a mean tzadziki sauce. I also eat it as a mid-morning snack with fruit and cinnamon. Packs a big protein punch. 

3. Bolthouse Farms juices are Ben's new favorite thing. I've loved them for a long time, and we give a splash to Reese in her water bottles. Of course, they are calorie-dense and have sugar (albeit from natural sources) and should be used sparingly. They are great for when you're in a rush and need something quick and nutritious. 

4. San Marzano canned crushed or whole tomatoes are what I use to make marinara sauce. First off, it's a fraction of the cost of jarred sauce. Secondly, most people aren't aware that most jarred or canned sauces are FULL of SUGAR. No thanks! I love homemade sauce. We add our own basil, and freeze leftovers in single portion sizes. 

5. Reese loves mac & cheese, and so do I. I prefer the homemade stuff, but Annie's Organic is a good substitute, and is made with whole wheat pasta. I mix a little with veggies for her lunch. 

6. She also loves puffs. She calls them "Wiggles." I got these organic puffs from Target; they have 1/2 the sugar and include greens like spinach, collards, and kale. She eats them just as she would the sugary stuff. 

7. Truvia is what I use in iced tea. You only need the teensiest bit to make it sweet. I am very wary of aspartame anymore, so have switched to natural sweeteners. This also includes natural applesauce, blue agave nectar (pictured), and pure maple syrup. But I have also trained my taste buds to not need things to be very sweet, so I'm fine most of the time with totally unsweetened food and drinks. This IS possible, the training your taste buds thing. I used to put sugar and salt on everything! Now it takes us YEARS to go through a tiny salt shaker. 

8. Farro and other whole grains (like quinoa, brown rice, wheat berries, etc) all contain protein. Pair them with beans or legumes for a complete protein. To most people, these grains look kind of scary. I promise there are enough recipes out there on the internet that you can find something you love made with whole grains. They are complex carbs, and are essential for energy. Unlike white bread and pasta, they will not put you into psycho-sugar mode.

9. Coconut oil is not only good for cooking, but great for your skin! I use it to grease pans. 

10. Almond milk--I just plain love it. I have never liked the taste of dairy milk, and this stuff has twice the calcium and way less calories. Even Ben says it's really good on his cereal, and he is a milk drinker. I still give Reese cow's milk--organic 2%--because I am not sure if almond milk is okay for her to drink, but I am currently researching this, and if anyone has any insight, I'm interested in hearing it!


Here are some frozen foods we eat here at the Forche house. I LOVE Amy's bowls and Reese really digs these Sonoma burgers from the same company. They are dairy free, and made with veggies and quinoa. Kashi makes great frozen entrees you can feel okay about eating; these are wonderful on workdays when I don't have anything fresh to take along. 



Reese is loving these do-it-yourself mish mash things I got in a 4-pack at Target. They are perfect for on-the-go. 


I adore shakes and smoothies for when I'm in a time crunch, or just don't feel awake enough for breakfast but know I need to jump-start my metabolism. This one is made with:

-1 scoop chocolate Shakeology (Beachbody is one of my absolute favorite companies. I use all of their workouts, and have always been more than impressed with their products, including this AMAZING shake. It now comes in Vegan, too!)
-1/4 c. oats
-1 kale leaf
-1/2 c. mixed berries
-1 tsp. cinnamon
-almond milk and ice 



My other obsession: Tazo green tea. Here is my daily batch of iced tea. I boil the tea and steep the tea bags first, then throw over ice and cold filtered water, with a little Truvia. Green tea is fabulous for metabolism, and in my opinion tastes divine. I can't get enough. 

When it comes to diet and nutrition, I think the key is to reflect on how food makes you feel after you eat it, When you eat something fatty and calorie-laden for "comfort," you usually feel awful and sluggish afterwards. I know for a fact that when I eat any type of candy bar, I have a massive crash an hour and a half later, and will eat everything in sight to keep from fainting. My brother, sister and I all have sensitive blood sugar. When I crave something heavy and full of fat, I let myself have the "better" version of it in a small portion, and fill the rest of my plate with veggies--the veggies fill me up, and then I don't need to eat a gigantic portion of macaroni and cheese!

I used to drink Diet Coke by the case; even though it's "diet," I gained weight and felt horrible and had migraines--with or without it. My mother is going through constant biopsies right now because of lumps and precancerous cells in her breasts; her doctor told her that many of her cysts are caused by none other than diet soda. I am trying to get her to switch over to iced tea. Now, I drink at least 2-3 liters of water every day, and have nixed my own soda habit. My skin looks better and my energy levels are up, and as far as I'm concerned, diet pop is poison. 

Any health tips of your own? Products that you love and want to share? Success stories? 

I'd love to hear them!

Lindsey.




1 comment:

  1. We watched a foodmentary early this year, and we also learned a lot. We do eat meat however, as long as it's animals organically taken care of. And we rarely eat beef, occasionally we eat steaks and use turkey instead of beef for all recipes. What we found interesting are the things that you would think would help you loose weight, which don't: soy milk, orange juice, light yogurt, Gatorade and whole wheat bread. We drink skim milk (I drink a gallon almost every other day, the thirst for it came while I was pregnant with Haiden, I've never really been a milk drinker) but still use soy for smoothies. We never really drink OJ but we love oranges! We switched to regular yogurt which contains zero high fructose corn syrup. Gatorade and whole wheat bread also contain high fructose corn syrup, so we never drink Gatorade, we drink the drink from my business, and eat only whole grain bread, with zero high fructose. Zach has been contemplating becoming a vegetarian, I was a vegetarian and vegan, while in Ohio, and I found that I just don't have the pallet for a lot of the veggies and veggie made things. But while I was the nanny for Augie, whose mom is a vegetarian, I ate a lot of what I was making for him! I started to work out (plus I was getting married near the end) and know that we plan to make all of Haiden's baby food, and are starting to eat healthier, which we always have. We just make wholesome dinners and the rest is all small snacks throughout the day that are healthy and yummy!
    You have always been an inspiration to me, and I love you!! I'm so thankful for the decision to move to Ohio and with luck work at Borders and meet you! I miss you like crazy!!! Keep posting recipes, and check out mine as well :)

    ReplyDelete