Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Vegetable Flatbread with Lemon Chard

Last night I toasted some whole wheat flatbread from the market, and topped it with some EVOO, fresh garlic, and my homemade marinara sauce, then sautéed the veggies I had on hand: local zucchini, Roma tomatoes, red bell pepper, and red onion. I topped the flatbread with veggies and oregano and a tiny sprinkle of Parmesan, and popped in the oven at 350 for about 20 minutes. I love this kind of dish because it's versatile. Not only can you use up what you've got in the fridge, but you can also choose to sautée, roast, or even grill your toppings. So easy!

I served this with rainbow chard. Ben and I had a kale and chard salad the other day, with pumpkin seeds and green onions, and I had a ton of chard left, do I decided to learn how to cook it! I cooked the stalks (so pretty!) in a little olive oil for five minutes, then added the leaves and sautéed another five minutes. I used salt, pepper, red pepper, and fresh lemon. Yummier than I expected! And so healthy, which is the important part.

Cheers to eating new vegetables!
Lindsey.

1 comment:

  1. I give you mad props for eating kale...I think it is so bitter :P

    And I've read that canola oil is actually the healthiest of cooking oils, I thought olive oil would be.

    ReplyDelete