Monday, July 16, 2012

Weekend Craftiness



Luxurious Weekend (sort of)

Things I did this weekend, in random order:


Made a monogram with a wooden letter from Hobby Lobby & a lot of saved-up corks, for the boring bare space above my stove. Ben put a dishwasher in, & a little extra counter space, so right now I am loooooving my kitchen. I was going to hang this thing tonight, but couldn't find a hammer, & Ben is all about everything being perfectly level...so he can do it! (Although he thinks the whole project is sort of stupid. Men.)

Made cashew cheese. You know, the stuff vegans eat! And it's actually really good, & husband-approved. It's not real cheese, just has a cheesy texture. We ate it as a spread on Kashi Roasted Vegetable crackers. 
It's just cashews, garlic, water, & a little salt & pepper in the food processor. 

Fed my kid delish plant food. She is such a good eater. This is banana, organic whole grain waffle, fresh blueberries from the local market we visited, & quinoa. I'm still trying to research the milk-for-toddlers thing, & want a good replacement for cow's milk. The more I know, the more animal products are getting the boot from my kitchen!
Made peach cobbler with whole wheat flour, which made it way dense & not like the cobbler I remember. It tasted amazing, but just didn't look as crazy-fluffy-yum. Reese & I went to the market & bought whole wheat pastry flour, for future endeavors. I figured out why I suck at baking: I try to make everything healthy, & a lot of "healthy" ingredients don't bake the same as their nutrient-devoid counterparts. I'm getting there!

Breakfast for the family: a casserole of quinoa, organic eggs (which will probably soon become all but eliminated from my diet), fresh basil & thyme, & local squash, beefsteak tomatoes, shallots, & red pepper. I will be making this again! The recipe is from Cooking Light, but I see it hasn't been posted yet on their website. 

Played with my little loves. I had to give Reese a lesson about "gentle." (Or "dental," in her language.) 

Made flowers out of vintage sewing patterns. I've had these pretty things forever, & thought they'd make cute centerpieces for a someday-soiree. 

Chalkboards out of ceramic Hobby Lobby frames! I spray-painted them Pistachio, & then used chalkboard paint over the glass. These will also hang in the kitchen. 

And watched fireworks at the River Raisin Festival. Reese said, "Wowwwww!" 

This morning it was back to work. Though I did get my new John Robbins book, which has proven to be a major distraction...but a good kind. 

:)

Lindsey.

1 comment:

  1. OMG! I love the cork letter!! It's made me want to do them from my parents winery! So crafty and creative!

    I love the framed chalk boards! I've been wanting to do something chalk board related for Haiden, and these are super cute! I also like the idea you had of putting them in the kitchen, I could use those for my To Do chore list!! Such great ideas!!

    And we love little snack ideas, and your cashew cheese, sounds like it would be a huge hit! I'm so impressed!

    ReplyDelete